Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program that provides financial assistance to people with limited income and resources who are aged 65 or older, blind, or disabled. The program is administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA). It is available to eligible individuals and couples in Tulsa and other parts of the United States.
Who is Eligible for SSI in Tulsa?
To be eligible for SSI in Tulsa, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be aged 65 or older, blind, or disabled.
- You must have limited income and resources. In 2023, the federal government defines “limited income” as less than $914 per month for an eligible individual or $1,371 per month for an eligible couple and “limited resources” as less than $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or meet specific noncitizen requirements. Non-citizens must have a qualifying immigration status and meet other criteria to be eligible for SSI.
It’s worth noting that some types of income and resources are not counted when determining eligibility for SSI. For example, the first $20 of most monthly income and the first $65 of earnings are not counted. Additionally, certain assets, such as a primary residence, may be excluded from the resource limit.
How Much Can You Receive in SSI Payments in Tulsa?
The amount of SSI payment you can receive in Tulsa depends on your income and resources. The maximum federal benefit rate for 2023 is $914 per month for an eligible individual and $1,371 per month for an eligible couple. However, the amount you receive may be reduced based on your countable income and resources.
In some cases, you may also be eligible for state supplemental payments (SSPs) in addition to the federal SSI payment.
How to Apply for SSI in Tulsa?
To apply for SSI in Tulsa, you can:
- Visit the local Social Security office in person. The SSA has a field office in Tulsa located at 14002 East 21st Street, Suite 900.
- Call the Social Security Administration toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available to take your application over the phone or schedule an appointment for an in-person application.
- Apply online at the Social Security Administration website. The SSA’s online application process is available 24/7 and can be completed at your convenience.
What Documents Do You Need to Apply for SSI in Tulsa?
When applying for SSI in Tulsa, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Social Security card: You must have a valid Social Security card to apply for SSI.
- Birth certificate: You must provide proof of age and identity, which can be done with a birth certificate or other documentation.
- Proof of income and resources: You must provide documentation of your income and resources, including pay stubs, bank statements, and other financial records.
- Medical records and documentation of your disability (if applicable): If you are applying for SSI based on a disability, you will need to provide medical records and documentation of your disability.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) can provide valuable financial support to eligible individuals and couples in Tulsa with limited income and resources. If you think you may qualify for SSI, don’t hesitate to apply. With the right documentation and information, you can receive the financial assistance you need.
If you have any questions or need help with applying for social security benefits, we would be happy to help. Contact us online or reach out to us by phone to schedule your free, one-on-one consultation today. You deserve experienced and compassionate legal support during this time. The Social Security Law Center team is ready to help you get the benefits you deserve.